Monday 5 September 2011

Ruth Katharine Groves


So here I am.

For those of you who don't know me personally, my name is Ruth Groves and I'm 22. I am a recent graduate of sociology and now find a large part of consumed with thinking, doing and breathing sewing.

For the last year, my life has been halved in two, one side spent working at a local internet marketing company- learning business and the other spent sewing and selling a variety of items - doing business. It's a balance that I am growing to love.







Below is my first ever sewing machine. Truth be told, I don't really know how to use it and it's only through trial and error that I am able to make the needle move at all! The learning process is fun though and I am quite proud to say that I am self taught, even if this does lead to me pulling my work out to find half a dozen strings wildly attached to my surprise!



I decided to call my 'business' Red Kettle Girls. Not gonna lie, thinking of a name was very difficult cause like where do you start? I thought I would do a three word title with each word beginning with my initial (Ruth Katharine Groves). The 'K' was the hardest part but through an hour of looking in the dictionary I went for the Red Kettle. I hope by putting 'girls' I haven't alienated anything more masculine, but I could always through in a 'blue kettle boys' or something!

My favourite things to make include quilts, bags, dresses and skirts and cushions and I have just began to standardise the size of things. I'm gonna make a 1st proper batch of stuff and throw it all on eBay to see what is the most popular.

I'm going for a shop tomorrow, I will show you my delights when I'm back.

***
Watch this space

RKG

No comments:

Post a Comment