Saturday 24 September 2011

A Dress For A Fifties Wedding

A couple of months ago I was faced with a dilema - What to wear to my friend's 1950's wedding? Having discovered that there was nothing in my wardrobe that fitted the brief, I decided to make my own. I decided on a simple full circle skirt with a fitted bodice and halter neck, fastening with a zip up the back in a pale green polka dot curtain fabric. I chose curtain fabric because generally it is thicker and helps to define body shape and give added support. This proved very effective on this dress because it had a particularly sinched in waistline to create a perfect hourglass shape, not to mention the support as I filled my belly with wedding cake!
The gentleman to my right is my lovely partner Darren Purdy, I think he looks great in his new trousers and blazer! The Bride Sarah wore a lovely Fifties inspired dress with matching fascinator. She added other quirky touches such as red shoes, lipstick and nails and held a hotchpotch of bright coloured flowers. She looked beautiful and so did her new husband Dan.
The dress was made of satin or other similar material and had an over layer of polka dot lace. It was covered in hundreds of tiny little pin dots of white which I thought was a great alternative to the more popular traditional looking lace. But, the most amazing thing about the dress was that it doubled up as an evening dress! The over layer of polka dot lace detached and a satin halter neck strap was added.
This concept of two dresses in one got me thinking about some of my handmade creations. I'm considering adding couple of dresses to the existing Red Kettle Girl collection that can be worn in more than one way, maybe even three! Overall, the hot sunny Sunday wedding was a huge success. My favourite part was the 'cake parade' whereby guests paraded their homemade cake creations and added them to a cake stand that Sarah and Dan used as their tiered wedding cake! Large quantities of cake in addition to my obsession with spinning my circle skirt round on the dance floor meant that before long, I put my dizzy Red Kettle Self to bed and woke up in the morning wearing a very very creased dress! Disgraceful!!
RKG xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment